Local Politics

Council Votes Tonight on Additional 5 Percent COLA for All City Employees

As we reported after the October 4th Gardendale City Council meeting, there were concerns from police and fire personnel over pay increases and insurance cost increases.

The city council approved a 5 percent pay increase at the October 4th meeting.

At tonight’s council meeting, the council will vote to approve Resolution 2022-136 which will add to the previous 5 percent COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) for all city employees, classified and unclassified, by another 5 percent. This would combine to give city employees a 10% raise and would be effective, if approved, as of October 16,2022.

The 5 percent additional COLA for classified service employees would also need to be approved by the Jefferson County Personnel Board.

This additional 5 percent would be for the 2023 fiscal year.